Catalonia has a great sports tradition with top-class facilities that are an international benchmark. Catalonia also has the perfect climate for open-air sports activities all year round, as well as a geographical location that allows for all kinds of sports, from nautical to high mountains. Catalonia also stands out for its ability to organise large international sports events, so it is a preferential destination not only for elite sportspeople, but also for lovers of any kind of discipline. Sports tourism in recent years has become one of Catalonia’s mainstays thanks to its top-class facilities and its great offer of sports stays, either individually or in groups. The Catalan Tourist Board in this sense has created in 2003 the Sports Tourism Label, a distinction awarded to towns, facilities, accommodation and specialized travel agencies meeting quality standards in the different sports disciplines. They are also recognised excellence in the resources and services for elite sportspeople, professionals or amateurs to do sports or enjoy events and championships, but also for tourists who love the great sports events.
Catalonia has 11 municipalities catalogued as a Sports Tourism Destination.
There are a lot of reasons for coming to Catalonia to play sport, but we highlight these ones:
- The weather: Catalonia enjoys a mild climate that makes possible to play sports throughout all the seasons of the year.
- The facilities: most Catalan sports infrastructures are prepared to host training stages, amateur, international and massive events.
- The surroundings: Catalonia’s unique geography offers athletes a variety of landscapes, featuring facilities by the sea, at the foot of the mountains, surrounded by forests and in the flatlands.
- The transportation network: thanks to its four international airports, Catalonia is very well connected to the main European capitals.
- The cuisine: Catalan cuisine is internationally recognized.
- The tourist options: Catalonia hosts a wide variety of artistic, festive and leisure events all year round. Among them are several unmissable events.
- The people: though you may only be in Catalonia as a tourist, the traditional politeness and friendliness of the Catalans will make you feel right at home.
Catalonia has first class facilities and accommodation adapted to sportspeople that are part of the Sports Tourism brand of the Catalan Tourism Board.
HOSPITALET DE LLOBREGAT
L’Hospitalet, a city located next to Barcelona, stands out for its fully-equipped sports facilities for athletics, swimming, football and team sports, as well as for its wide range of hotels.
On the coast of Maresme, the town of Calella has facilities for swimming, playing football, athletics, running, triathlon and cycling. It also hosts the Ironman.
This city was one of the venues of the Olympic Games in Barcelona 1992. It has the Olympic Channel of Catalonia, which specialises in paddling in calm waters and canoeing.
The town of Santa Susanna offers top level facilities for elite and amateur sportspeople, and facilities for football, team sports, sailing and road cycling.
In addition to being a city that stands out for its history and architecture, Girona has magnificent natural landscapes for running and road cycling and sports facilities for athletics, swimming, tennis,…
LLORET DE MAR
Lloret de Mar is one of the best destinations for water sports, but also for athletics, swimming, cycling, road cycling, triathlon, and playing collective sports or football.
Cambrils is a coastal town where many of the cycling routes on the Costa Daurada start and finish. It is also city certified in athletics, cycling, football and sailing, with specialised accommodation.
Salou is well-known around the world for football as it has the Complex Esportiu Futbol Salou. However, besides being an ideal place to go sailing, cycling or practicing triathlon; it also offers a long list of certified accommodation and sports activities.
This town in the Pyrenees of Lleida is known for its river, the Noguera Pallaresa, the mecca of open water kayaking. It is also renowned for adventure sports and the large number of natural parks surrounding the town.
The facilities of the Technification Centre for Rowing are situated on the banks of the River Ebre. The centre attracts enthusiasts who love rowing in calm waters and is the place chosen by many international teams that are looking for a place to train.
ATMELLA DE MAR
With 17 kilometres of coastline and 25 beaches awarded with the environmental quality label, in 2015 Ametlla de Mar was certified as a sports tourism destination for sailing.